Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I used to mark milestones and important occasions of my life and those of my loved ones by planting trees, fruit trees most often. Why?, because I want to do my little share in keeping the air fresh and I want to eat fruits which I produce myself. Moreover, planting fruit trees which are not traditionally grown in Cebu like mangossteen, durian, magallanes pomelo, longkong, rambutan, longgan, chokanan mango, menzi oranges and even the so called kiatkiat, the small seedless orange from china-pose a challenge which I like to face. All these fruits, I have either planted already or have seedlings in plastic bags of varying sizes, ready for planting.
Yesterday was my birthday, however I was unable to plant anything. The locations around our house marked for planting are not yet ready for such. One still has the big felled talisay tree which I intended to be sawed into lumber which sawer I could not find yet, another has a still standing but already dead long ago ten foot tall, two feet diameter jackfruit stump. There is one place where I can dig out a yet small longgan for replacement with a longkong because the other mature longgans I have (more than ten years old already) haven't born fruits ever since and I wonder if they ever will because they are from seeds of fruits I bought in Malaysia which could have come from china, temperate varieties, hence may not readily fruit in the philippines. I could not do digging yet because i still feel pain in my right elbow (tennis elbow) which hasn't healed yet, hopefully it will soon, because this has prevented me from doing some things which might aggravate it.
I can not postpone july 15, so I just have to postpone planting another fruit tree and plant I will do for sure. That just has to wait a little while. In the meantime, I will enjoy listening to the birds which have slowly come back to our place, check on the small fruits of the two pomelo trees that have started to fruit already and watch out for emerging flowers on the other trees around, and in the mornings, whenever I can, smell the fragrance of the champaca and sampaguita blooms.

1 comment:

Ligaya said...

We want more!

We want more!